Skip navigation

Journal of Welsh religious history

 - 

Vol. 3 1995

The Venerable Owain William Jones [1921-1995] : with a bibliography of his principal works /

Previous page Rotate Left Rotate Right Next page Original Image Large Image Zoom View text PDF
Jump to page
THE VENERABLE OWAIN WILLIAM JONES
[1921-1995]
D T W Price
Owain William Jones, a native of Merthyr Tudful and the son of a teacher,
was born on 9 September 1921. He entered Lampeter in 1940 from
Cyfarthfa Castle Secondary School in Merthyr, and showed his ability as a
historian by gaining a first in the intermediate examinations in 1941. His
sense of duty to his country was shown by his joining the Royal Tank
Regiment in 1942. He returned to college in 1945 to complete his degree
course, and he took his BA in 1946 under the regulations for those who
had served in the war. He then moved to Selwyn College, Cambridge,
where, as scholar and prizeman, he was awarded a first in theology in 1948.
After spending a year at St Michael's College, Llandaff, Owain was
ordained and served a curacy at Roath before returning to St Michael's as
chaplain in 1953. In 1957 he went north to be warden of the Church
Hostel at Bangor, where he remained for five years. At Bangor he also
lectured in theology in the University College of North Wales and he held
the post of warden of ordinands for the dioceses of Bangor and St Asaph.
Then followed an incumbency at Builth, during which, and later, he served
as bishop's chaplain for post-ordination training and on the Standing
Liturgical Commission of the Church in Wales. He was appointed a canon
of Brecon Cathedral in 1969, precentor in 1975, and treasurer in 1976.
Between 1971 and 1978 he was rural dean of Builth-Elwell. His
nomination as archdeacon of Brecon in 1978 led to his leaving Builth in
1979 for the smaller parish ofNewbridge-on-Wye. He joined the Doctrinal
Commission of the Church in Wales in 1980. In 1983 he became full-time
archdeacon of Brecon. Four years later he was offered the post of full-time
archdeacon of Gower in the south of the diocese. He accepted the office
largely because of the possibility, soon realised, of teaching at the
Previous page Rotate Left Rotate Right Next page Original Image Large Image Zoom View text PDF
Jump to page

This text was generated automatically from the scanned page and has not been checked. Typical character accuracy is in excess of 99%, but this leaves one error per 100 characters.

The National Library of Wales has created and published this digital version of the journal under a licence granted by the publisher. The material it contains may be used for all purposes while respecting the moral rights of the creators.