women and children at Aberpergwm in the 1870s and 1880s was a 'Welsh costume made from home-spun wool clipped from their own sheep and dyed in various colours with vegetables dyes' (pp. 122-3). In the early twentieth century, the last 'Williams of Aberpergwm', Godfrey, was appointed a Governor of the National Library of Wales. The twentieth century was, however, to witness the dissolution of all these ties that had once bound the Williams family to the mansion of Aberpergwm. The collapse of agricultural prices and the advance of democracy combined to render superfluous the squire's presence on his own estates, and for most of his life, Godfrey Williams lived abroad, indulging his passion for yachting. The mansion, meanwhile, was taken over as the National Coal Board's headquarters after nationalisation in 1948, but has since become ruinous. Mrs Belcham displays an intimate knowledge of the Aberpergwm papers, and her genuine interest in the people she discusses brings the story she tells to life. The book itself is most beautifully produced, with an abundance of illustrations, some in colour. My one reservation was that the volume lacked a comparative aspect; it would have been interesting to have had the Williamses placed alongside contemporary Glamorganshire families, and their doings considered within that broader context. A suitable project for Mrs Belcham's next book, Derhaps? Matthew Cragoe THE GLOG SQUIRES, by T. F. Holley. Published privately by V. A. Holley, Merthyr Tydfil, n.d. . £ 8.00 plus £ 3.00 p. and p. (Available from 52 Chester Close, Heolgerrig, Merthyr Tydfil). Paperback xii + 340 pp. Illustrated. This is the fourth book on hunting personalities and the history of hunting in Glamorgan by the indefatigable chronicler, Dr Holley. His three previous books have all been reviewed in Morgannwg (1984, p.l 13; 1986, p.91;1988, p.102), and this latest work is his largest and most ambitious, as it fully and accurately describes the contents: Anecdotes and history of the Glog Hounds, the Pantysgallog Hounds, and the Sennybridge hounds, with tales of their masters, huntsmen, followers and hunting countries, and some account of everyday farming life in the hills of Glamorgan. Glog House, in Llanwynno parish, was the home of Squire William Williams (1783-1874), and under his mastership the Glog hounds, formed from the much older trencher-fed local foxhounds known as the Llanwonno or Llanwynno
This text was generated automatically from the scanned page and has not been checked. Typical character accuracy is in excess of 99%, but this leaves one error per 100 characters.
The National Library of Wales has created and published this digital version of the journal under a licence granted by the publisher. The material it contains may be used for all purposes while respecting the moral rights of the creators.